Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Indian Rice Factory: Scrape Up Your Change for Channa

Although I adore the food at the Indian Rice Factory, I find that some of the dishes are outrageously overpriced. I am not cheap. I eat out a lot and I know that more often than not, you get what you pay for. However, I have a problem paying over $12 for Channa Masala that essentially is made of chickpeas, tomato, spices and onion. The cost to make this dish is almost nothing and it is fabulous, but not fabulous enough to deter me from visiting Lahore Tikka House or anywhere else on Gerrard St. for a dish of really good Channa that will only cost me $6.50 or so.

It’s true, the Vegatable Pakora at Indian Rice Factory are light enough to levitate and hover over your table like crispy fragrant clouds. They are arguably the best I’ve ever had (and don’t tell My friend Anita’s mother Saroj that I said that because I have repeatedly told her that hers are pure divinity!).

I enjoyed the Butter Chicken, but found that it was much sweeter than I like it to be. I appreciate a spicy, smoky Murgh Makani, but the cook uses molasses or something that is bittersweet. I was left craving more heat.

The Shrimp Curry is also wonderful. Plump tiger prawns tread in a mouthwatering sauce that is smooth and fiery. But again, if I recall correctly the price was close to $15 or $16 for the dish and the portions aren’t heaping, either.

The ambiance is a refreshing departure from the traditional Indian. Minimalistic blue lanterns dangle gracefully from the ceiling and one feels that it may be more of a trendy new bistro rather than a traditional Indian restaurant. The tables are a bit too cozy to the diners next to you.

In my opinion, you can get a better deal elsewhere, but you won’t find a better pakora anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment